[ale] rehashed - Linux laptops

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 14 03:01:58 EST 2009

Been a while since I've posted, but saw this thread and thought I needed
to remind everyone that Dell has Ubuntu laptops.  I have a XPS M1530
that I am really liking.  It has the 1920x1200 screen so I'm hoping I
don't need reading glasses anytime soon!  Here is the specs:

Core2 Duo 9300
4Gb RAM
320Gb HD w/free fall sensor
Nvidia 8600 mobile
firewire port
ethernet port
Intel a/b/g wifi
SD card slot
3 USB ports
HDMI port
VGA port
S-video port
fingerprint reader (which I like alot)
2M pixel webcam w/dual mics
Alps touchpad
Hibernate works
Suspends works
Multimedia buttons work
smaller battery  (don't use battery much)

It is just nice when all the hardware works the way you expect it ought
to.  After updating Hardy Heron 8.04 to the latest patches, I found I
had to blacklist the psmouse driver at boot and then load it via
/etc/rc.local so the Alps touchpad driver would grab the touchpad
first.  I did have to train the fingerprint reader to my finger, but
hey, that makes sense.  Just thought I'd mention my experience has been
very good.  The laptop is not too heavy and very powerful for my needs.
Comes with LinDVD so watching DVDs is legal here in the US.  Cost was
about $1850 which includes 2 years of hardware support where if I dump
coffee on it, they still talk to me....

Best wishes with your purchase,
Dow