[ale] thinkpad recovery

Robert Coggins ale at cogginsnet.com
Mon Jan 12 09:55:35 EST 2009

Geoffrey wrote:
> Robert Coggins wrote:
>> Geoffrey wrote:
>>> If I boot from the rescue partition or from the rescue disk, I'm
>>> prompted for a password.  If I enter either of the known user
>>> ids/passwords on this box, I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> "The user had not been enrolled with the Client Security Solution.  Only
>>> enrolled users may log on or recover their password/passphrase."
>>>
>>> Catch 22???
>>>
>> Could this be something in the TPM and not the OS its self?  If so, it
>> may be an older password the user had...
>
> TPM??
>
> All the research I've done, responses are always "contact Lenovo, we
> can't help you crack a password."

Is there no chance the user or previous users know the old passwords to
the machine?

I ran into a situation *similar* to this but it was mostly just for the
daily operation of the laptop rather than recovery.  I had to track down
the original user and had him go through a bunch of his old passwords.
We were fine from there...

Rob