[ale] PPPo{EA} v NAT in DSL gateways

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Sat Jan 10 13:12:01 EST 2009

On Dec 31, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Jason Fritcher wrote:
> I wanted a Cisco, but didn't want to pay full Cisco prices, so I went
> to ebay for mine. :) I found a seller there has several 857Ws up with
> free shipping for $289 or best offer, and he accepted an offer for
> $260. UPS says it should be here Friday, so I can let you know if
> everything was on the level afterward.

Here is my followup on my Cisco 857W purchase. After running it for a
week, I can say that I really like this router. It took a full day of
research to figure out how to configure all of the bits and get them
playing nice together, but that was because I could not get the Java
based web-config tool to work on my Mac. Its been rock solid this
whole time, I've had no wifi problems like my Linksys had, but I'm
still investigating 2 instances of my PPPOE session being dropped
while the DSL line remained sync'ed. I'm currently thinking the DSLAM
gets busy enough at times that it stops answering LCP Echo requests
and so the router thinks the session has hung, but I need to wait for
the next drop to find out for sure. The beautiful thing about this
router is the shear amount of debug info you can get to diagnose those
kinds of problems.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org