[ale] OT: top-posting

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 08:22:01 EST 2009

Oh, waaaaa!

2009/1/8 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>

> The biggest point is that top posters are almost never trimmers, and you
> wind up with 25 lines saying "--- Original Message ---" or similar, all
> with included message bodies, which is *highly* irritating because it
> tends to get *really* long.  Not everyone has what we'd consider to be
> high-speed Internet, even still in today's world.  Moreso when you're
> posting to mailing lists that are very widely read (say, the LKML, or
> various development lists, or various other topical discussion lists
> that are running on mailing list software) or posting to Usenet.
>
> The rule of netiquette was created for a reason, and it's simply that,
> netiquette.

etiquette was created as another tool to separate people by "class".
Burping during a meal is OK in some cultures (this is similar to "personal
preference") while in other cultures (none I want to affiliate with) farting
at the table ( and the ensuing comments on "quality") are also common place
(I haven't seen Deliverance in a while...) is not a taboo.

> --
> My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
> http://www.trausch.us/

I am becoming opposed to signature lines that lack quotes from Dave Barry. I
think off-beat, quirky humour should be required of all moderately sentient
organisms who send electronic messages.

And I want to pick the rules that define the word "moderately".

James P. Kinney III