[ale] OT: top-posting

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Jan 7 13:30:50 EST 2009

Derrick Norris wrote:
> I'm torn.  I sometimes top-post, sometimes not and it usually depends on
> whether I know a certain venue expects it a certain way.

It is fun to watch people use Outlook and color (usually red) to try to
"middle post" as best they can.

> My email client at work (and it's a Linux client) places the cursor at
> the top when replying, so it assumes you want to top-post.  My mailer at
> home does the opposite.

But it is harder to read, follow, and even write an email that way.  I
stay configured with the cursor at the top so I can reply to bits from
top to bottom, and clean out the junk that is (hopefully) unimportant to
the parts I'm replying to.

> The best posting method IMO especially when several people are
> contributing to a discussion is to embed comments into appropriate spots
> in the previous posts.  And of course the worst is when you have a mix
> of top-posters and bottom-posters.

Bingo :)

Pat