[ale] Fragmentation (was M$ Standing on a bridge)

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Jan 7 09:53:42 EST 2009

Brian Pitts wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 16:12 -0500, Pat Regan wrote:
>> Was the problem caused by lowering the reserved blocks on the filesystem
>> from 5%, or did you manage to get that fragmented even with the reserved
>> blocks?
>
> I lowered it. 5% seemed like a lot of space on a 450G filesystem.

Then that's most likely why you got so fragmented.  :)

There's a good reason that 5% is reserved, and it has ALWAYS seemed like
a lot of space.  When a 450 meg filesystem was all you had, 5% still
seemed like a lot.  I'd much rather give up 5% than have to defragment
my disks.

And if anyone is curious, you have to leave a 386 40mhz with 4 meg of
memory running overnight to compile a version 1.2 Linux kernel.  If I
remember right, the lack of swapping with 8 meg drops that same compile
to a mere couple of hours.  :)

Pat