[ale] Upgrade Has Caused A Downgrade

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:46:46 EST 2009

I have had "issues" with installs breaking on specific hardware. New burns
didn't work. Use a minimal install, i.e. barest, text only with networking
then yum install using the DVD as a local source. This will pull down newer
packages from the updates repo and will likely resolve the problem.
cd /media/Fedora_DVD_name
yum local-install foo

By using the local-install you will pull first from the disk and save some
download time. I don't recall which graphics card I had that one of the
Fedora's just didn't like.

BTW: F10 is pretty slick and CentOS5.2 is rock solid stable. I would put F10
on a laptop in a heartbeat (OK, so I did that already!). CentOS 5.2 is my
preferred distro for most any server (except LTSP - pulseaudio is needed for
clients and it's not in the shipping kernel - so I build my own.).

2009/1/5 Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com>

> The 'bare metal' install fails while installing the base packages, so there
> are no logs available (at least once it has failed when formatting the file
> systems). I'm going to attempt to get a re-spin and burn the new DVD on
> another machine.  It has also been suggested that I try Fedora 10 or CentOS
> 5.2.  I'll try Fedora 10 if the re-spin doesn't work.
>
> Using Fedora 8, I installed the gkrellm monitor (yum -y install gkrellm*)
> and all 4-cores are acting independent (as did the 2-cores on the original
> AMD x2).  It could very well be a driver, so I'll poke around the mobo CD
> and see what I find.
>
> Any other suggestions would be would be considered.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene Poole

James P. Kinney III