[ale] Ubuntu 8.10 X

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Jan 4 20:05:05 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 18:43 +0000, Chris Fowler wrote:
> This is just a follow up from last week's thread.
>
> At Circuit City I bought a Compaq SR5510F right before they closed.
> It is running Vista but I'm sending this email from 8.10 Live CD.  I could
> never get X to detect the 1680x1050 screen resolution that I have been
> running since 7.04 -> 8.04.  To fix this, I copied the xorg.conf from
> my ShuttleX to this system and restarted gdm.  I now have good
> resolution.
>
> I really wish they would fix this issue.  It would suck to have a nice
> PC like this and be stuck at 1024x768 when Vista allows 1600x1200.
> Might even run some people off....

Hi Chris

It looks like they're trying to fix things [0]. For now, there' s a good
debugging manual [1] and instruction on what to do when your monitor's
resolution isn't properly detected [2].

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/TestingInfrastructure
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Debugging
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution