[ale] Macbook Pro 15" or Thinkpad W500?

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Jan 1 21:12:29 EST 2009

I have a MacBook Pro 17"

Doctor Who wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new laptop and am considering either a Macbook
> Pro 15" with OS X Leopard or Thinkpad W500 with Linux.  I'm really
> torn!
>
> I know several on the list have Mac notebooks, so I'm looking for some feedback.
>
> At this point, I see the following advantages for the MacBook:
>
> * Very well polished user interface
+1
> * Support for a lot of commercial software

I have yet to purchase commercial software for my mac.

> * Good support for iPods (which I have) and iPhone (which I may get)

I've got both an iPod and iPhone, sync them both to my Mac.

> * Good support with my corporate environment (Exchange server, Juniper VPN)

I don't do it.  I do ssh from Mac OSX though.

> * Machine is aesthetically pleasing and light weight for 15" machine

Yes, even my 17" is lighter then my previous 17" Sony laptop.

> * I like the MobileMe synching capiblity to keep calendars and such together

Don't use it.

> * You can install Linux on the Macbook, but can't install OS X on the Thinkpad

Got Red Hat WS 5, Fedora 8 and OSX on mine.

> What I don't necessarily like with the Macbook:
>
> * Price (about a grand more than the similarly spec'd Lenovo Thinkpad
> W500)..ouch!

I didn't see that big a difference when I purchased mine, but I've not
priced since then.

> * Being a Linux guy I feel a little odd going with Mac OS X

You can run X apps on it as well.  I've got OpenOffice installed and
actually 'ssh -X' apps from my other linux boxes and it runs great.

> * Not as much software available for the Mac (I hear Fink doesn't work
> all that well / poor stability)

For me, it's not a replacement for Linux, it's a supplement, so I've not
done a lot of research on this issue.

> * Not as much 'control' of the OS as you get with Linux & proprietary hardware.

Probably true, but I can't say for sure as I haven't spent the time to
really get into it.  I do run ksh as my default shell on Mac OSX.

> So what are the thoughts on the list?  How do the Mac laptop owners
> like theirs?  If you considered a Mac and didn't get one, why not?

I absolutely love my MacBook Pro.  I've got no regrets.  I've not had
enough time to build a custom kernel to get all the fun stuff working
though (camera...).

> Thanks all!

Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin