[ale] upding software issue

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:41:26 EST 2009

Think around an hour or so depending on CPU speed, network speed, etc.

As for updating from F8 to F10, don't. That will take a much longer
time and many, many things are different between the two releases.
Best bet for a 2 version jump is a full install from scratch. It will
avoid many problems. SELinux _works_ in F10 and much of the files from
F8 are not labeled correctly. ouch!

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 17:19, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It _does_ work but it is not really recommended. I have a machine that
>> has gone from Fedora core 1 through Fedora 9 by upgrade only. I will
>> be wiping it and bare-installing F11 when it comes out. The upgrade
>> take (much, MUCH) longer and can run into conflicts if there are many
>> third-party repo's in use.
>>
>> Also because of the bleeding-edge nature of Fedora, there are many
>> packages that get dropped from one version to the next. Those just
>> cause update clogs later.
>>
>> That said, as long as you have fast access and the address for all the
>> third-party repos, F9->F10 update was amazingly smooth on a test box.
>> I still went back and wiped the drive later as I wanted to encrypt it
>> and the process for doing so on a live machine was more arduous than
>> the back up, wipe, install process.
>
> How long does it take?  I may do this for my work box, since all the
> stuff I really need is
> backed up on the groups login machine.
>
> And if you have pointers to a How-To ?
>

> --