[ale] GPS units

Sean drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Feb 26 15:29:56 EST 2009

There has to be a way to do this -- I'm just too ignorant to figure it out.

I have a Garmin GPS unit and I want to update the map database.  Now I can
purchase the updated database on a DVD (for way too damn much money) but
the DVD clearly says you gotta have a Windoze machine or Mac.

What do I know?!

I plugged the thing in via the USB port and it seems to be a FAT FS, like
most USB widgets. But I can't figure out how to write to it.  I tried to
correct an error in the personal database of addresses. No writes
occurred.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around the insistence on Windoze?

Sean