[ale] [JOBS] Sr. Systems Administrator positions

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Feb 26 11:00:41 EST 2009

Geoffrey wrote:
> Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
>> I don't see any gratuitous "ripping" going on; the posting raises
>> legitimate questions which in no way counter the degree to which the
>> posting is an "opportunity someone might need."
>>
>> Are you proposing that no job posting on the ALE list should be
>> commented upon?  And even though this posting, as Aaron said, appears
>> legitimate, what are we to make of 5 years of Red Hat administration
>> being considered "Senior" or any other head-scratcher that appears in a
>> posting (like, say, "20 years of Perl programming" or "C, C+, and C++")?
>>

> Actually, you could have 20 years experience with C.  I started using C
> in 1987 it's been around since the early 70's. I believe Larry Wall had
> already written and was using Perl in the late 80s as well, although I
> don't know about it's general availability at that time.

Pink camel was published in '91[1] and I'm pretty sure I diddled with
4.0.18 (4.0.16? whatever the stable release was for a bit before 4.0.36
came out at any rate) around then so I'm certainly creeping up on
something like 20 years.

Man I'm getting old . . . Git offa mah lawn you dagburn'd pesky kids!

[1] http://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html