[ale] [JOBS] Sr. Systems Administrator positions

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Feb 26 07:14:35 EST 2009

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I don't see any gratuitous "ripping" going on; the posting raises
> legitimate questions which in no way counter the degree to which the
> posting is an "opportunity someone might need."
>
> Are you proposing that no job posting on the ALE list should be
> commented upon?  And even though this posting, as Aaron said, appears
> legitimate, what are we to make of 5 years of Red Hat administration
> being considered "Senior" or any other head-scratcher that appears in a
> posting (like, say, "20 years of Perl programming" or "C, C+, and C++")?

Actually, you could have 20 years experience with C.  I started using C
in 1987 it's been around since the early 70's. I believe Larry Wall had
already written and was using Perl in the late 80s as well, although I
don't know about it's general availability at that time.

All I'm saying is let's think before we start commenting on job
postings.  As I recall, when we had a job list, this didn't happen at
all, because folks saw it simply as a place to find a job or a person
for a job.

> Geoffrey wrote:
>> Folks, come on, every time we see a job posting posted on the list,
>> folks start ripping it apart.  Can we not just take the posting as an
>> opportunity someone might need?  Fortunately, at this time, that's not
>> me, but I'd hate to see the postings dry up because job posters get
>> tired of getting ripped on ALE.
>>
>> I guess the sooner the job list is up, the better...

Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin