[ale] [JOBS] Sr. Systems Administrator positions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 12:29:21 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't you mean "low" standard, at five-plus years?  I'm currently being
> officially called "senior" at 22 years, so as far as I'm concerned, the
> distinction is arbitrary and shouldn't be considered to be any more than
> that.

I agree. 5 years experience is not "senior" status as an admin.

> As for what's in the description, it seems to me that if you are being
> constrained to using Red Hat, the position isn't exactly "senior."  My
> observation has been that RHEL shops take on many of the same
> implementation and integration hassles as Windows shops...it wasn't so
> much Windows per se that I sought to distance myself from a decade ago
> as it was those hassles!

That is also an interesting situation. I have seen "RedHat Shops" do
things the hard way because the easy/fast/best way is not an rpm that
ships with RedHat. Fear of having to support a tool internally is a
situation that hamstrings "single-vendor" organizations in any field.

> [...]
>>> Since we don't have our employment list up yet, I offered to
>>> review it and post here if I thought it was appropriate.
>>>
>>> The job descriptions look relevant and legitimate to me,
>>> so his email is below.
>>>
>>> NOTE: This is a re-send as the full job description .pdf
>>> attachment was over our 40k message limit.  I've quickly
>>> cut, pasted, and re-attached that as Plain Text, but the
>>> formatting may be a bit ragged now.
>>>

>>> =============================
>>> We are looking for 2-3 people immediately with more possibly to
>>> follow. Following is the short job description, the long version is
>>> attached.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Joe
>>> =============================
>>>
>>> Oversight Systems is an entrepreneurial, rapidly-growing technology
>>> company which already enjoys an impressive list of marquee customers and
>>> is led by an executive team with a proven track record in building
>>> early-stage businesses into market leaders. Oversight Systems’ software
>>> helps corporations identify fraud, misuse and errors, and sustain
>>> regulatory compliance by inspecting business transactions in real-time.
>>>
>>> Oversight is currently looking to add a Senior Systems Administrator to
>>> the Managed Services team. The Senior Systems Administrator’s role is to
>>> ensure the high availability, performance, and scalability of our internal
>>> IT infrastructure, as well as our customer facing technology systems that
>>> run our products, whether deployed at customer sites or in our SaaS
>>> datacenter. This includes monitoring systems, backup systems and other
>>> related hardware and software, as well as Linux servers that power MySQL /
>>> Oracle databases and business applications.
>>>
>>> Qualifying experience includes:
>>> •  5+ year’s hands-on experience with deployment and management of large
>>> scale Red Hat Linux environments. Includes server monitoring systems for
>>> proactive notification of system problems.
>>> •  Proven expertise with designing and implementing enterprise backups and
>>> disaster recovery of large-scale Linux server environments.
>>> •  Thorough knowledge of server and operating system configuration and
>>> implementation including hardware, software, RAID, SCSI, and other storage
>>> technologies.
>>> •  Hands-on experience with server virtualization, for example Xen or
>>> VMware / ESX server.
>>> •  Experience with backups & recovery of Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server
>>> databases is a plus.
>>> •  Proven expertise with Unix / Linux scripting.
>>> •  Working technical knowledge of networking protocols such as DNS, WINS,
>>> SMTP, SNMP, RPC, FTP, IP internetworking, etc.
>>>
>>> Also, you must be a US citizen and able to receive US government security
>>> clearance.
>>>
>>> Anyone who chooses to begin a dialogue with us should know that we are
>>> committed to protecting privacy and promise full confidentiality.

>>> 1-770-457-7023 Office
>>> 1-404-307-1431 Mobile
>>> recruiter at oversightsystems.com
>>>
>>> OVERSIGHT SYSTEMS