[ale] Maybe was discussed before - revised

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Feb 24 22:26:23 EST 2009

Ken Ratliff wrote:

>> Yes. Using the procedure I outlined, I was able to type my DSL
>> UID and password directly into the modem's "Connection Configuration"
>> page, and get on line.  The URL http://192.168.1.1 refers to the
>> internal web server on the modem, which it uses to serve up
>> its status and configuration data.
>

> What he's saying is that, basically, they give you a temporary username
> and password and that all of it's requests are being proxied to their
> provisioning page to do the permanent setup of the accounts credentials.
> If that's the case, then the above procedure isn't going to work,

Yeah, I got you.  I just did this last week, and for the initial
install I hooked a Windows machine up to the modem.  That original
modem was RMAd, and I of course already had the credentials when
the replacement modem arrived, and was able to set it up directly.

I found the provisioning page to be HIGHLY Firefox-unfriendly,
incidentally.

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov