[ale] Maybe was discussed before - revised

Ken Ratliff forsaken at targaryen.us
Tue Feb 24 22:10:31 EST 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:59 PM, bugy at bellsouth.net wrote:

> I apologize ... maybe my previous question wasn't clear. When you
> order DSL from AT&T they send you new modem in package, so the DSL
> is ready to go when you are ready. You hook up your PC to the modem/
> router, call tech. support and they give you temporary username and
> password for the DSL modem/router ( in my case username: dslreg at att.net
>  passwd:dslreg or was regdsl at att.net/regdsl I can't recall ). This
> account gives you access only to my.att.net especially to the new
> UID/PASSWD registration page http://dslinstallation.bellsouth.net.
> So on this page is the main challenge. You have to have IE+Windows
> to register account, otherwise won't go.
>
> In short : Is anybody are able to go around http://dslinstallation.bellsouth.net
>  and successfully to register new AT&T account under Linux.
>
> Thanks again

Hrm, that's different. When I setup service with them pre-merger, they
just included a paper with the modem that had my username and password
on it. I know their website isn't firefox friendly, but is their
provisioning page really firefox unfriendly as well?

Comcast does something similar if you change the mac address to the
host connected to the cable modem, but I've never had an issue with it
in Firefox (I'm assuming you've at least tried to use Firefox under *x
to access the site and failed).

Honestly, I'd call customer service and explain the situation to them
and tell them to give you your username and password or you'll be
forced to establish service elsewhere.

Or borrow someones laptop that's running and windows and get your
provisioning information that way, your choice.