[ale] [OT] Comet viewing

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:37:12 EST 2009

That state park was likely Hard  Labor Creek State Park which is
adjacent to the Georgia State University Observatory. If it was
between 1995 and 1997 springtime for the Leonids, I was probably there
:-)

Dark locations in metro Atlanta - hope for an ice storm to kill off
the power for a night. The last ice storm gave 3 nights of incredible
naked eye viewing from downtown Atlanta. I haven't seen the Milky Way
here in over 20 years. We set up the 8" and ran it from the car
battery until we were too cold hold the eye steady in the eyepiece.
The ice storm knocked out the crud in the air as well as the power so
the viewing was outstanding. The stars barely twinkled. By night 2,
the heat effect atmospheric disturbances were also greatly diminished.
Night 3 we partied with friends and didn't go out.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Sean <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2009 10:07:13 pm Jim Kinney wrote:
>> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/35992534.html
>>
>> New comet lulin. I couldn't make it out and am blaming it on Atlanta
>> haze. Bummer. Will check tomorrow.
>>
>> --
>
> Is there a good dark sky site anywhere near Atlanta?  Years ago I went
> out to a state park well east of Conyers to view a meteor shower.
>
> Sean

James P. Kinney III