[ale] School Project to Create Distributed Filesystem

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Feb 24 08:37:04 EST 2009

Omar Chanouha wrote:
> Also, no one on our team has done any kernel hacking before, so any
> advice AT ALL as related to kernel hacking in general is appreciated.
> Any wisdoms you may have learned, anything you would have like to know
> when you were getting started, any opinion at all is welcome.

If you don't have any experience mucking in the kernel then the best
advice is probably "don't; use FuSE instead".
FuSE will let you do everything as user-land processes instead of in the
kernel.  It also has the benefit of being (to some degree)
cross-platform (I know of versions for at least FreeBSD and OS X) rather
than Linux-only.

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/