[ale] LUG at GT Meeting - 02.25.2009: UNIX History and Philosophy

Ryan Curtin ryan at igglybob.com
Mon Feb 23 07:35:09 EST 2009

The Linux Users Group at Georgia Tech presents

"Unix History and Philosophy"
  by Chad D. Kersey

Feb. 25th, 2009, 7:00 PM
College of Computing, room 52

Overview:

  Our favorite OS has a rich history that precedes it by two decades,
beginning with the creation of Unix at Bell Labs. By making certain
things easy and other things more difficult, a technology product
embodies a certain way of working and a certain philosophy. Unix and
unix-like OSes are no different. In this presentation I sweep through
the history of Unix and related software, including the C programming
language, and ed and vi text editors. Along the way, I'll use quotes
from people who worked on Unix to illustrate the motivations for each
new feature, and the philosophical basis for the system on the whole; a
system based, at least initially, on simplicity, openness, flexibility,
virtualization, and the ability to run on modest hardware.

Upcoming Presentation:

  - 2009.03.04: Useful Utilities (Roundtable!)
  - 2009.03.11: Wrecking Linux
  - 2009.03.18: No presentation (Spring Break)

For directions to the meetings, see
http://www.lugatgt.org/events/

Hope to see you there!

--
Ryan Curtin       | "If you understood everything I said, you'd be me."
ryan at igglybob.com |   - Miles Davis