[ale] 4 way timer

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sun Feb 22 22:10:04 EST 2009

OK.  Assuming you're counting up and that you just want
to start a new timer each time, here's a little python that does
N timers, starting when you launch it.  You hit enter to stop
the last timer and start the next one, and you do control-D to
stop the last timer and print them all out.

Example run:

ecashin at ed-cashins-computer ecashin$ ~/src/python/time4

2009-02-22 22:07:02.377053
2009-02-22 22:07:05.681020
2009-02-22 22:07:13.513047
2009-02-22 22:07:13.889052
2009-02-22 22:07:14.297063 ^D
timer  1: 0:00:02.872000
timer  2: 0:00:03.303967
timer  3: 0:00:07.832027
timer  4: 0:00:00.376005
timer  5: 0:00:00.408011
ecashin at ed-cashins-computer ecashin$

I just started learning python, so any python geeks feel free
to make suggestions about the following.  The thing is, my
MacBook runs 2.3.5, so I have to stay away from new stuff.
Well, my debian systems have a kind of old python, too, I
think.

ecashin at ed-cashins-computer ecashin$ cat ~/src/python/time4
#! /usr/bin/env python

import sys
from datetime import datetime

a = [datetime.now()]
while 1:
    try:
        s = raw_input()
    except EOFError:
        break
    t = datetime.now()
    print t,
    sys.stdout.flush()
    a.append(t)

print ''
i = 1
while i < len(a):
    print "timer %2d: %s" % (i, a[i] - a[i-1])
    i += 1
ecashin at ed-cashins-computer ecashin$

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>