[ale] Conflicting Printer Drivers

Jim Moore d2ove4deb at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 22 16:27:39 EST 2009

Upgraded my desktop (Dell4600C) from Debian Etch to Lenny.  Under Etch
my Epson Stylus was running under gutenprint 5.0.0.  The upgrade
installed gutenprint 5.0.2  Printer no longer works.  If I pull up the
cups interface (localhost:631) it shows the printer with the 5.0.0 as
the ppd file, but say that the installed version is 5.0.2.  Have tried
with cups interface to install a new printer but it gets installed with
the 5.0.0 ppd rather than the 5.0.2
Have done a "locate" search for gutenprint pdd files but can only find
5.0.0 versions.
Did a "locate" search for gutenprint 5.0.2 files and can find a whole
page of them for all sorts of printers, but none for Epson Sylus C88+.
Have considered doing
1. apt-get uninstall gutenprint 5.0.2, or
2. apt-get uninstall gutenprint 5.0.0 and then apt-get install
gutenprint 5.0.2

Don't know quite where to go.

suggestions appreciated!!!

Jim