[ale] How Do I Join?

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 04:51:59 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Linda L. Hull. <llhull at b5.aehallh.com>wrote:

> > Lastly, NO FLASH ANIMATION!!! (and minimal abuse of javascript to move
> > things around on the page please. Some of the geezers still don't have
> > X running so they use links and mutt exclusively. :}
>
> Lynx
>
> http://lynx.isc.org/release/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(browser)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28browser%29>
>
> Lynx Viewer
> Delorie online viewer enables you to view your site in a text browser.
> www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html
>
> I love Lynx
>

> Linda
>
> Craig B. and Linda L. Hull
> Advocacy for Life's Difficult Moments
> Educational, Legal, Medical
> ADA Consultant
> 007 Editorial Services / Proofreading
> 5080 Lisa Court
> Douglasville, Georgia 30135
> Phone/Fax/TTY: 678-935-0227
> Craig: chull at b5.aehallh.com
> Linda: llhull at b5.aehallh.com
>

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 07:51:05AM -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Personally, you sound a bit arrogant to me.  If you want to help
> support
> > > the website, the first thing you should do is find out who currently
> > > does that.  Then, you should contact them and discuss your
> > > concerns/ideas.  Throw something together, stick it out there and see
> > > what people think.  If people like it, then you'll have to wrestle with
> > > the folks who currently maintain the site.  By the way, I think you own
> > > them an apology.  You said their work was ugly. That is your opinion,
> > > and as we know, everyone's got one of those.  How about providing some
> > > substance?
> > >

> > As the sysadmin for ale.org, I can speak to this.
> > We are running wordpress for the site itself. Please feel free to set
> > up your own wordpress installation (ain't open source grand!) pound in
> > your design ideas and send a link to me (and the rest of the whiners
> > who _HAVEN'T_ volunteered to refresh the look :-) and I be more than
> > happy to take a look at it. I guess you would need to package it up as
> > a wordpress theme. We currently use a theme from many years ago.
> >
> > I don't view the current site as "ugly" but rather "dated".
> >
> > Lastly, NO FLASH ANIMATION!!! (and minimal abuse of javascript to move
> > things around on the page please. Some of the geezers still don't have
> > X running so they use links and mutt exclusively. :}
> >
> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III

Wow, I am totally amazed.  Are you seriously telling me that people use text
web browsers in this Web-2.0-world!  Can you all share with me the
advantages of text web browsing?  I have got to try it!  Now THAT's
adventurous!

--
Marc F.

www.fergytech.com
Registered Linux User: #410978

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"