[ale] OT: Can a cat be an end user?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:34:04 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> Jim Kinney wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I thought ALE was on-topic here.
>>
>> I would argue more so than lager...
>>
> I guess stout would be even further out in left field than lager??????

I can see I need to provide a VERY IMPORTANT ALE TALK. Beer
classification. Stouts are a style generally of the class ale.

Short summary: 3 classifications of beer
1. Ale, top ferment yeast at temps between 55F and 75F
2. Lager, bottom ferment yeast at temps between 33F and 55F
3. Steam, bottom ferment yeast at ale temps.

Everything else is a subset of these 3 classifications. Most beers are
ales yet lager is the highest production classification. Budweiser is
a lager. Bass is an ale. Guinness is an ale. Harp is a lager. I know
of no German ales. Most Belgium High gravity beers are ales.
Samichlause (17%!!) is a lager that take a full year to ferment.

Now you know :-)
James P. Kinney III