[ale] How Do I Join?

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Fri Feb 20 09:59:40 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lastly, NO FLASH ANIMATION!!! (and minimal abuse of javascript to move
>> things around on the page please. Some of the geezers still don't have
>> X running so they use links and mutt exclusively. :}
>
> X will never catch on.  I tried it back in '83.  You can't believe how
> much horsepower it took.  I could barely get my Z80 to run it at all.

While it's true that X will never catch on, I've been using it since
'84 and so far it has been better than most of the alternatives in the
GUI universe.  (The ones that *were* better have mainly died through
neglect.)  Sadly, lynx and friends aren't sufficient to interact with
the web, so I'm stuck with X.

--
Björn Gustafsson