[ale] Lose internet access when moving rooms on campus

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Wed Feb 18 23:00:17 EST 2009

Hey Everyone,

    I go to gatech. Often times I show up early to a class and connect to an
AP in the hall to start browsing the web. Then I go into the classroom and
obviously the signal from the AP I am connected to loses signal
strength/quality. So I kill dhcpcd and take wlan0 down. Then i bring wlan0
up again, connect to the AP with iwconfig, and run dhcpcd. iwconfig says it
is connected to a new AP, dhcpcd says it is offered the same ip again, which
ifconfig is bound to. So, in theory, everything should be good. I have an ip
and i'm connected to the router, however I can not ping any part of the
network. I can't ping the gateway, the dhcp router or the internet. Any body
have any thoughts as to what could be wrong or where I should start
debugging?

I am running gentoo/flux and connect with iwconfig/dhcpcd only (no gui).

Thanks,

-OFosho, Miami Dolphin and Open Source Aficionado