[ale] AT&T blocked

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Wed Feb 18 21:53:34 EST 2009

Paul,
I'll preface this by saying that this by saying that I have only used Google
apps for small companies, including one of mine.   I don't send massive
amounts of system mail through it.  A friend at work does use gmail to get
our root mail.  We get up to 1000 messages a day.  I use mutt pointing at an
imap server at my full-time job to handle all that mail.

What I like about Google Apps Mail:

#1 spam filtering; it must be one of the best on the planet; best of all I
don't have to deal with it; fighting spammers just stinks.  There's just way
more fun stuff to admin than RBLs, greylisting, and blocked phisher email
addresses.  I'm sure there are some pretty good tools out there.  Or, I
could pay postini (who does a good job, I hear).

#2 ~7GB for *free*!
#3 imap & pop ability
#4 good web interface (even works reasonably well over my boost mobile 19k
connection)
#6 reliability - ever had a box colo'd somewhere inaccessible/far away die
on you?  IP ever changed (because you moved residences)?  There are better
ways to do things than how I've done them in the past. But, giving someone
else the headache is fine by me.  Plus, I think the app mail may be sent by
the same servers as regular gmail.  I dare any one to blacklist gmail
(though I'm sure most of us are tempted often).
#7 integrated apps (calendar is great, docs is cool, I even use
sites/googlepages)

Dislikes
- dependency on someone else
- lack of support (If there is a serious problem, good luck); short outages
are fairly common; I've noticed it with my contact list especially
- privacy issues

Yes, my email fu may wane over time.  But, I'm hoping SMTP will go the way
of the fax machine soon anyhow.  Maybe some of these DKIM-type workarounds
will help improve my grim outlook of the future of email.

Meanwhile, I'll play with Asterisk, Xen, and other, sexier Linux
capabilities.

Email admins everywhere, I salute and envy you for your steadfastness.

Brian