[ale] OT: Maglev funding?

Jeff Hubbs jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:35:56 EST 2009

Robert Reese~ wrote:

>> If you're talking about a system like the WDW WedWay PeopleMover -
>> that was based on a linear induction motor that didn't have moving
>> parts at all.  It's just nontrivial getting power properly
>> sequenced all the way up and down the track.
>>

> I wasn't aware the Orlando People Mover was different than the Anaheim People
> Mover.  The WDW People Mover with its linear induction motor makes it to be a
> miniature maglev.

WDW's WedWay Peoplemover (it's no longer called that but that's the name
it ran under the longest) is not a maglev.  It's a wheeled train pulled
along by a LIM.  You can look it up to be sure, but I think its wheels
run on a flat surface on the RoW but it's guided by rails; I'm not sure
if the regularly spaced objects in the middle of the RoW are permanent
magnets or switched coils.