[ale] OT: Maglev funding?

Jeff Hubbs jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 15:40:30 EST 2009

Robert Reese~ wrote:

> In fact, you inadvertently proved the superiority of the monorail's switching
> system.  In that Google Map photo, take a look directly under the monorail
> switches: GASP!  Those are standard gauge track with switches.  Note the
> monorails switch has five lines in the same space and span as the track below's
> switches that contain just two junctions.

I hadn't noticed that, but there you go.  I also noticed that what they
have there are very simple level-style turnouts that have a sharp
deflection - I guess that a monorail train could negotiate that but only
at low speeds, which would suffice for this particular application.
> In other words, with one photo you have shown that monorail can have 5 lines in
> the space of just three standard gauge lines.  AND the 5 lines are handled with
> just ONE switch.

I should point out that WDW monorail trains are much narrower than US
standard gauge rail stock, which would account for some of the
difference.  But your point still rings true:  the footprint of monorail
is relatively compact compared to US standard gauge.
> And FWIW, there's no need to turn a monorail around.  It is bidirectional. ;c)

Yes, but to its credit, so can be heavy passenger rail like MARTA.