[ale] Really slow copy

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 12:26:12 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm backing up my laptop home dir to my new file server in prep to cut-over to
Kubuntu. It's about 17GB of data. I started it about 7.30p last night and it
was steadily pulling files (server <- laptop via NFS mount) taking about 60+%
of the CPU... UNTIL I left for a few hours and came back. It's now only
copied about 2.5GB and getting only 10+/-% of CPU. I tried renicing the
process which has had only a marginal improvement. Nothing else seems to be
competing for CPU or disk IO. The system has 1GB RAM and the copy process is
taking about 70% of memory. The network medium is CAT 6 via a LinkSys WRT54G.
I was streaming some audio from the Internet for a while but shut that down
and it's made no difference. The laptop has 1GB RAM and a number of apps
loaded but the CPU is fairly idle.

17GB is a lot of data. Maybe I'm not fully appreciating that -- i.e. maybe it
just takes this long to copy all that data? Although the rate is about
2.6MB/min (ball park figure).

Any ideas how I can get this puppy moving again?

Thanks.

--
The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.
 -- Mark Twain