[ale] Hardware question: BIOS not seeing my 500GB SATA for Kubuntu install

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Sat Feb 14 15:28:12 EST 2009

One thing to try: boot from a Linux CD distro and see if it sees
the drive.  Linux requires BIOS support in order to get the boot
sector loaded and jump into GRUB or whatever, but once the
kernel takes over it does not use the BIOS at all -- it does
its own drive detection and manages the SATA interface itself.
This means that BIOS limitations on drive size are usually
irrelevant to Linux -- as long as there's SOME drive you
can boot from, Linux can use all the others.  (You could
probably even boot GRUB off a CD and then tell it which
internal SATA drive to boot from -- I think even GRUB does
its own disk management without bothering with the BOIS,
except to get the stage-1 loader into RAM.)

If a bootable Linux CD does NOT see the drive, then I would
think you have a motherboard issue.  Maybe the SATA interfaces
aren't enabled properly, or have a hardware failure of some
sort.  In the latter case, you're probably just screwed, and
there's a new MB in your future.  Or if you have a free PCI
slot you could maybe spring for a PCI SATA interface card.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov