[ale] [OT] Questions for cable guys

Sean drifter at oppositelock.org
Sat Feb 14 13:23:44 EST 2009

The condo where we live has a contract with Comcast (expires in
May). Contract provides a bulk rate for one level up from "basic"
cable. Service has been terrible for years.
AT&T has just installed a fiber box at the entrance to the condo
and is hustling for business (TV bundled with phone and Internet.)

Reps for both firms will be at the condo board meeting Monday
night to pitch for business.

My understanding from talking with a few partially informed AT&T
reps is that phone service will continue to come into the house via
POTS copper and that the TV is not just a rebadged Satellite TV.
i.e. no VOIP yet.

Currently I get internet service through Speakeasy and am willing to
pay extra for the excellent tech service and dedicated IP address
(no pppoe) while living with only 1.5 down.

So, what technical questions should I throw at the two sales reps?
:)

Obviously I and other condo owners need to know how, exactly,
internet service will come into the house. On fiber or copper?

And I want to know how much a dedicated IP address is going to
cost me.  But what other technical questions should I try to get
answered in front of the condo board?

Advice is welcome.

Sean