[ale] Hardware question: BIOS not seeing my 500GB SATA for Kubuntu install

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 08:23:04 EST 2009

Hi,

On Saturday 14 February 2009 3:09 am, James Sumners wrote:
> Best Buy sells SCSI drives? You must have a special Best Buy near you,
> because they don't even list SCSI hard drives as being available on
> their website.

The SCSI boot up messages may have been incidental to the situation. The
systems (BIOS & Linux) seem to treat SATAs kind of like SCSIs
(e.g. /dev/sda). I'm speaking from a vantage of almost total ignorance on
this point so don't even bother responding to this statement.

> Since you mentioned the presence of jumpers, I'm going to assume you
> are talking about EIDE hard drives. If that is the case, then you will

You could assume that. But you'd be wrong. :-) The drive is SATA. The jumpers
en/disable performance & managability features.

Thanks anyway.

> be MUCH better off by setting the jumpers appropriately. Cable select
> just doesn't work 9 times out of 10. Set a master and a slave via
> jumper settings. I bet that solves your problem.

By way of further information, the drive seems to whir with a very slight
vibration so it IS getting power.

--
The best time to plant a fruit tree was twenty years ago. The second best time
is today.