[ale] accented characters

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 13 14:03:18 EST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:46:10 -0500
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> My son wants to be able to insert accented characters in Fedora 10.
> The default character set is UTF-8 so it has the ability. But I don't
> see what it works in. I've tried gnome text editor, openoffice, and
> gnome terminal with no joy. It should work within all of gnome
> environment using the AltGr + foo sequence but I see nothing.

There are two ways that I know of:

 * Use one of the us-intl keyboard layouts (I prefer the one with the
   dead keys, personally), or
 * Memorize the Unicode code points for the characters you wish to use,
   and use GNOME's Ctrl+Shift+u input method to enter them.

The latter is more flexible, though you have to do more thinking.  I
still use it for certain symbols that I want to input into text, like π.

The way it works is to press and hold Control+Shift, press the letter
"u", let go of all three, and then type the Unicode code point.  For
example, pi is 0x03c0, so you'd enter it as C+S+u 3c0 <space or enter>.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
http://www.trausch.us/