[ale] [OT]Energy usage tracking

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Wed Feb 11 13:48:18 EST 2009

> (http://www.envirogadget.com/computer-gadgets/energy-usage-tracking-the-energy-detective/)
> that lets you track your energy usage and store it on the computer.  I

Disclaimer:  http://www.utilijoule.com  is one of my entities.

The TED is a good home unit, not sure what the interface/export
capabilities are.

Most of the meters like that on the market are actually
readable via ModBus or ModBus over TCPIP. Some are DNP/DNP3.

I met the people behind EcoDog (http://www.ecodoginc.com) last week
in San Diego at a trade show (Distributech) and I really liked the people.
It's a startup and he is using LonTalk, a power line carrier technology.
Still, he's doing it, as a fellow techie, send them an email
and offer to be a beta. :)

The killer for many of these for non-geeks is opening up your
circuit breaker panel and putting "CT's" aka Current Transformers
around the wires coming off the breaker. On the high end, some
people actually make circuit breakers that can provide readings.

When we do a Joule install, typically in the .5+ MegaWatt
customer range, it takes a team effort including the utilities,
electricians in flash suits and some serious equipment.

For the home installs.. most people still won't play in a breaker panel,
and PLEASE if you do, kill the power upstream first. Lock it out/off.

On the cheaper, light commercial and larger home needs, Veris
http://www.veris.com/subcategory.asp?idMainCategory=45&idCategory=45
Makes some nice gear, with good prices for high quality CT's
matched/calibrated to a meter from the factory.

There are a bunch of others out there as well.. but that's off the top of
my head.