[ale] simplest/cheapest way to use LCD monitor in different rooms w/o moving the computer itself ?

Sean C. McCord scmlist at cycoresys.com
Wed Feb 11 12:34:20 EST 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 12:11:06AM -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> A long video cable ? How long a cable may be used ?

>From Google (re DVI):
http://www.scala.com/support/technical-faqs/hardware-faq-hardware-stability-guide/dvi-vga-cable.html

Basically, though, VGA cables have to be pretty short.  I've run them
about 16' before with no problems, but they really aren't designed to be
transmitted over long distances.

There exist VGA-over-Cat5 devices, but they are all ridiculously
expensive.

> Is wireless for the monitor possible  ?  Cost  ?
>
> Other recommendations  ?

Were it me, I'd pop in a nice, cheap, ~$120 thin-client ethernet- or
wifi-connected.  It'd be a lot more useful, anyway.  Even if all you
really want is a screen copy, then you can use VNC on one.

Thin clients I use:
http://www.norhtec.com/products/index.html
http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d3.htm
http://www.disklessworkstations.com/