[ale] [JOB] Second Life needs shift work support admins

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:30:41 EST 2009

ALE'rs: this came to me today. They need more than 2 and the work
location is from home! So no trudging into the office.

First shift is 8am-4:30pm

Second shift is 4pm-12:30am

Third shift is Midnight – 8:30am

    * Work schedule is 4 days on; 4 days off, so it is not quite full
time.  Approx 135 hours per month
    * Location is  in any major city where Comsys location.
    * min 6-12 months project, likely extensions.
    * The client interview process is extensive and will include at
least 5 client staff. We will try to consolidate as much as possible,
but candidates need to be prepared.
    * Candidates should paste their Second Life Avatar picture and
name onto their resumes for submittal
    * How many computers do you have at home, and what operating
systems do they run?
    * In any given week, how many hours do you spend of personal time
using your home computers? How much in online virtual worlds (specify
which ones)?
    * What was the last script or application you wrote, and how was it used?

Other virtual worlds:

    * There
    * Moove
    * Active Worlds
    * Sims Online
    * Spiral Matrix

Marcus Whitehead

Placement Manager

COMSYS

400 Interstate North Parkway

Suite 1000

Atlanta, GA 30339

O: 770-373-2107

M: 404-583-4148

F: 770-373-2112

marcus.whitehead at comsys.com

www.comsys.com

COMSYS is looking for exceptional engineers to join our client in the
Production Grid Operations team and provide tier 1 support for the
tools and systems that hold up the world that is Second Life.

Tier 1 engineers will provide 24x7 monitoring, diagnosis, solving, and
triage of issues related to the Second Life grid. You will earn the
respect and admiration of our millions of registered residents for
your contributions to the stability of the Second Life platform, and
be an integral part of an awesome team dedicated to the continuous
progression and improvements of virtual worlds.

Responsibilities
* Provide real-time response to grid attacks, system outages, and
other issues raised by monitoring and in-world teams
* Work on the command-line, with web tools, and in-world to
investigate and solve issues
* Communicate with engineering and support teams to escalate issues
and provide updates to the Second Life community

Requirements
At least 2+ years of Linux System Administration experience
Experience with administering remote servers providing a
customer-facing production service
Stellar communication skills, both written and verbal - they are a
distributed group, and communication is vital
Ability to learn quickly - virtual worlds are complex, and a good
understanding of those complexities is essential
Large-scale system administration, SQL/DBA, Web development, and
Network engineering experience
Systems programming/debugging experience
Some scripting ability, in at least one language - we love python, but
bash or perl are also perfectly acceptable
Must have spent plenty of time in Second Life. Be very familiar from a
user perspective. Please include your Avatar picture and name on your
resume
Must be able to work shift work
1st shift is 8am-4:30pm
2nd shift is 4pm-12:30am