[ale] vmware kernel

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 10 08:43:51 EST 2009

Geoffrey wrote:
> I've been doing some research on vmware in order to compare it to Xen,
> and can't seem to find a critical piece of info I'm looking for.  As I
> recall, vmware is based on a linux kernel, thus the following questions:
>
> 1. Is vmware still based on Linux?

No.  It runs in either Windows or Linux.
> 2. Why do they not publish their code?

It is their code.  It is proprietary.  Some products they
give for free some you pay for.  There is no obligation that
you can have their code.

> 3. Is it possible it's based on another OS, say, bsd?

I doubt it.  This would require compiling under that system and
again, you don't have the code.  There is VMWare fusion that
will run under OSX.