[ale] OT: Good source of laptop power adapters?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Feb 7 15:02:58 EST 2009

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 18:49:42 -0500
Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a cheap and reputable source for laptop power
> adapters. I'd like to find somewhere that's cheaper than Dell but
> won't sell me an adapter that's going to catch fire or fail in a
> month.
>
> My specific need is for one that outputs 19.5V, 3.34A and fits an
> Inspiron 1420. Everything from Dell costs > $65. A friend who went the
> "order the cheapest no-name adapter you can find" route experienced
> consistent failures, hence my nervousness.

I would not go for cheap---they're usually single-purpose.

When I had my Toshiba, the power cord that came with it took a crap,
and the replacement on the site was $80 or so.  I went to NewEgg and
found a quite versatile Targus adapter for $30 or $40 more, and it
connected to nearly everything I owned, so I used that.  It came with
20 or so different adapters, and changed the voltage/amperage on its
own for different devices.

So... I'd recommend spending a few extra $$ on a Targus adapter if you
can.  They're well worth it.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.