[ale] [OT] AT&T DSL vs RoadRunner cable broadband

Sean C. McCord scmlist at cycoresys.com
Fri Feb 6 20:16:27 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 03:51:15PM -0700, JK wrote:
> I'm hoping maybe ATT will get their act together and make
> me happy sometime soon.

Good luck is all I can say.  I used to recommend BellSouth DSL lines to
my customers, and woe is me for it, now.  BS has always been a pain to
work with, but at least you could get to someone who knew something
eventually and get the problem resolved... or if you were veteran, at
least bully the people into doing what needed to be done.

Since the AT&T merger, however, it has been a swift spiral downward.
They are rapidly bumping out the people who knew anything at all levels
I've been able to interact with.  It is very reminescent of the old MCI
meltdown.

At any rate, and without going into horrible details:  stay away from
AT&T DSL.  I can say that Comcast, while totally incompetent in the
support arena, at least works more often.  I have no experience with
Time-Warner.

Consumer-level "broadband" is in a dysmal, non-competitive state, but, of
course, there's nothing new about that.  All's not doom and gloom,
though.  You can finally get double-digit download (but, mind you,
definitely not upload) speeds (after only a dozen years or so of general
"broadband" availability) at a somewhat affordable price. :)