[ale] [OT] AT&T DSL vs RoadRunner cable broadband

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Feb 6 19:43:14 EST 2009

jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net wrote:
> I've got a 6MB DSL line from AT&T and I had crappy service with random disconnects. I couldn't pin-point a problem in my home as there is less than 3 ft of cable between NTI and DSL demarc on Leviton SMC and it's optical all the way from CO to across the street in neighbor's yard (less than 50 feet from NTI).
>
> I bitched long enough that they raised me to 'presidential' support level group and they rolled a truck out to my place for no charge. Tech provided a new Motorola modem as I was still using the old Westell modem, and replaced the ONC in the box across the street and downloaded the latest code to it. I haven't had a problem since then.
>
> Jeremy

I tend to be an apologist for Bell South/AT&T.  Not that I have an
interest in the company, but I've had good luck with their service.
It's possible they treat their conventional customers different.  I have
a couple of lines with "measured service" and 6M dsl service.  The POTS
lines are what I call measure service but that's not what AT&T calls
it.  I get 60 calls free per month and pay $ 0.12 a call after that.

I've had excellent service.  I hate to advertise the fact I've not had
an outage for a couple of years because the last time I did, things went
out for a bit.

But anyway it's possible for AT&T to deliver reliable service.

Not that I like them much but since I don't have to deal with their
customer service I'm currently quite happy.

Jim