[ale] [OT] AT&T DSL vs RoadRunner cable broadband

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Feb 6 17:51:15 EST 2009

Hi folks!

Last week I decided $100/month was too much to pay for
7Mbit RoadRunner+basic cable, so I canceled it and ordered
3Mbit/s dry-line DSL from AT&T.  I'm SO unhappy with
the DSL that I just called Time-Warner and had the
RoadRunner re-activated, except at 3Mbits and without the
TV. I was surprised that this is a money win -- $29 for
RoadRunner (no TV) vs $40 for DSL (no phone), before
assorted taxes and BS fees.

The DSL has been very flaky over the past 8 days - I've
had to reset the modem a lot, due to authentication
issues, IP issues, DNS issues, and general failure-to-
do-what-I-want, eg stay UP for gosh sakes! Also I've
noticed large downloads tend to hang occasionally.  I've
had RR for 8 years and had connection problems maybe
once/year, so this whole crappy-service thing is new
to me.

I'm hoping maybe ATT will get their act together and make
me happy sometime soon. They're shipping me a new modem,
which personally I think is kinda stupid -- the current
one works 90% of the time, which makes me think the
problem is on the other end of the connection.  The
serv-tron I spoke to about the connection issues was
probably offshore, but didn't try to follow a script --
as soon as I said I had a dry line, he pretty much
listened to me and seemed reasonably knowledgeable.
(OTOH the RR guy I just talked to when I re-ordered
that service spent a couple minutes trying to convince
me that 3Mbit RR was faster than 3Mbit DSL, because
RR is "broadband".  Words fail me.  In spite of that
though, RR has truly been rock-solid for me.)

I'm considering doing an extended comparison (more for
my own amusement than anything else) -- keep the
DSL for a month or two and run my work stuff on that
connection, while keeping the family's personal machines
on RR.  Having both services is still costing me
$30 less a month than my old RR service, and I can
probably get my employer to pay the AT&T bill.

I am both exasperated and amused by the entire
experience.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov