[ale] [OT][Way OT] Industrial Power Question

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Feb 6 11:27:42 EST 2009

My apologies to those who really don't want to see this.
Unfortunately ALE is one place where I can consistently
find intelligent technically informed people, so on the
chance ...

During the era of $4/gallon fuel, I got to blue sky
thinking about solar power and transportation.
Specifically, rail and/or light rail.

If my back-of-the-envelop calculations are anywhere near
correct, it is now technically feasible to run a rail
transportation system (say like MARTA for instance)
entirely from solar power collected from the right of way
of the tracks and the roofs of the stations.

I have recently seen a short article claiming a thermal
solar conversion system is economically competitive with
more traditional electric generation schemes.

For the back of the envelope stuff...

My understanding is that current solar collection runs
about 1 watt/sq ft of collection area. To allow for clouds
etc, take that to 0.5 watt/sq ft. Lets use a figure of 1
horsepower=1kw, which is some 20% high, but keeps the
number simple and turns on a light also. The Charlotte Lynx
system runs vehicles of 780 rated horsepower, which means
that MARTA may be up to a thousand?? In any event, 780x2000
suggests Charlotte would need to dedicate 1.5 million sq ft
of collection per running vehicle for full power usage.
Since the vehicles are under full power for only short
periods of time that 1.5 million figure is probably a
multiple of the required power needs, but I don't have the
background to make the adjustment. In any event, that
figure is approximately a strip 14 miles long by 20 ft
wide, or the right of way available to one track of the
Lynx line here.

The question I have for the bright people here is "Can you
refine these figures/guesses to something a little more
defensible?"

I probably should offer to purchase a round of virtual beer
for the participants...

Thanks for the use of bandwidth, and the opportunity to
scratch a nagging itch.