[ale] advice needed.

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:07:42 EST 2009

I think we're missing part of the story here.  What differentiates the 1000
user versus the 20 user solution?  That is, does your marketing organization
believe that it is not possible to sell a small company on the effort of
implementing a Linux server and solution due to cost/support/etc?

One somewhat legitimate obstacle to selling a Linux-based solution is that
smaller organizations may not be able to justify the cost of having a Linux
sysadmin when they already have a windows admin.  If that is the challenge
with the smaller companies, then the VM solution is compounding the problem
and not solving it, because your customer must now have a windows admin who
can become familiar with Linux and also VMWare or similar software.

Virtual machines have advanced in the past several years, but running a
separate OS and software in a VM does have some impact on performance.

On the flip side, creating a VM shouldn't be that difficult.  It could make
implementation somewhat simpler, as it might make things a bit more "cookie
cutter."  And using a VM might save a company the cost of purchasing a
server that they might not otherwise buy.  I haven't used VMWare's
snapshots, but it does seem like those would provide a nice backup solution.

Good luck,

Josh Kite