[ale] mandriva powerpack 2009

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Feb 5 13:24:26 EST 2009

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu February 5 2009, Geoffrey wrote:
>> I've just dropped the cash to get a year subscription to Mandriva
>> powerpack.  Installed it on a secondary laptop and I must say, it is
>> quite impressive.  I replaced an existing Fedora 9 and there's no
>> looking back.  Clean install, recognized all my hardware, including my
>> 3com pcmcia wireless card.
>
> jeez, and I just installed Fedora 10 yesterday.. on my laptop.
>
>> Definitely bears a look or second look by anyone looking for a different
>> distro, particularily if you're on an rpm based distro.
> so why is it better than Fedora?

I've just had various issues with the latest fedora offerings.  I don't
like the changes they've made to installing software.  My latest issue
was when I tried to get wireless networking setup on this same laptop, I
kept getting an error saying that the ip address I was trying to use was
in use, and I know it was not.

Also, I've never been able to get wireless config on fedora to pick up
an ip from a dhcp server.  I figured it had something to do with the
fact that my dhcp is being passed through from one server through a
wireless router.  This just worked on Mandriva.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin