[ale] Firefox Running Slow in Linux

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Feb 2 15:53:17 EST 2009

Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know I'll probably get hazed by this already saturated question, but I
> haven't found any solid answers to my issue from the archives.  I'm running
> Fedora 10 x86_64 and loving the "adventure" of running an 64 bit system.
> I'm also running Firefox 3.0.x (x86_64), but I've noticed that it's not very
> smooth compared to it running on a Windows machine and I'm little confused
> why.
>
> It's more the scroll bar than anything else.  It's something small, but it's
> ruining the surfing experience

Under Edit->Preferences-Advanced->General->Browsing, do you have smooth
scrolling enabled? I'm wondering if you have it set one way on your
Windows system and differently on Fedora.

Is scrolling slow on *all* pages? How about http://www.w3.org/ , for
example?

What graphics driver are you using? If it's vesa, that would explain
this symptom. I'm not certain what the best way to check this is. Try

grep "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

-Brian