[ale] OT -- STATA on a unix server

brobinso at tfn.net brobinso at tfn.net
Sun Feb 1 13:59:26 EST 2009

My dept has a computer guy, who keeps all the xp boxes locked behind an
administrator password.  I know I can cicumvent that somewhat easily, but
I like to keep him in my graces.  I'll bring it up to him, and see what he
thinks about my installing vnc.  And hope he doesn't fall prey to the "I'm
not sure how that works, so it's not allowed" fallacy.

Some others have written to help me with, possibly less legitimate, ways
to solve my problem, so I'll call it essentially solved on my end.  But
thanks for the help.  And the advice.  I wouldn't worry about violating a
liscence by accessing my own software remotely, but, as you mention, if I
say it too loudly, someone will think of a reason.

Thanks again,