[ale] Alt+Ctrl+F# blank screens

Gray Frost grayf327 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:15:16 EST 2009

The Graphics card is a Nvidia 8800GTX (same card have been using for
years with same duel monitor setup) with Nviida drivers.
Nothing hardware has changed, just the ubuntu version to 9.04 to 9.10
clean install. The Xorg.0.log files shows
all kinds of stuff but not sure what to look for. There is not a debug
log because I don't know how to create one.  One thing that
can see is that my monitor1 (my 46 inch LCD TV) shows a shadow of a
4:3 box and switches to 1280x1024 res like it is attempting to show
something while my
monitor0 (22 inch LCD) shows the "Check source and Connection"
message.  That cant be good :(

Here are some things from the Xorg.0.log file I grep'd for WW and
EE(no errors found).

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
	Entry deleted from font path.
(==) FontPath set to:
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
	/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
	built-ins

 and it has a message like this for just about every resolution

(WW) NVIDIA(0): The EDID for WDE LCM-22w2 (DFP-0) contradicts itself: mode
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     "640x480" is specified in the EDID; however, the EDID's
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     valid VertRefresh range (56.000-67.000 Hz) would exclude
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     this mode's VertRefresh (75.0 Hz); ignoring VertRefresh
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     check for mode "640x480".

I have used xrandr and cvt to set a mode for the monitors but that
didn't relove anything.
The current xorg.conf file is generated by nvidia-settings which has
always worked fine in the past distro versions.

From: Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us>
Subject: Re: [ale] Alt+Ctrl+F# blank screens

What graphics card and driver combination are you using?  Is there
anything telling in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (substitute your display
number if it isn't zero) or in /var/log/kern.log or
/var/log/debug.log?

  --- Mike