[ale] uptime?

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Dec 28 21:43:03 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Michael Trausch wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>>> 11:09am  up 771 days 14:30,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>>>             ^^^
>>
>> I had a machine that I'd setup that was up for ~450 days... that is,
>> until the power supply "lost its magic smoke".  :-/
>
> Yep, we used to say, 'gotta keep the magic blue smoke inside the computer.'

In this case it was blackish.  Ahh, electrical component failure.  At
least the server operating system was something sane like Linux, where
the hard disk drives could be moved from one machine to another
without issue.

The last time I tried that with a Windows > 5.0 (Windows 2000), it
wanted a phone call to be made to Microsoft.  Right.  Because when you
move a hard drive from one machine to another, you simply *must* have
stolen it, right‽  *grumble*

   --- Mike