[ale] Linux on Delta - whoohoo

Wed Dec 23 17:21:54 EST 2009

On a flight in either 2002 or 2005 I had to put my carry-on in the
very back of the plane. As I turned to walk back to my seat they
booted the whole IFE system. I saw before me Tux in the top right
corner of 80+ screens, each in the face of [statistically speaking] a
non-Linux user. It was glorious! All I could do was yell, "Rock!" And
pump my fists.

On 12/23/09, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 14:16, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
>> Imagine my surprise - the little display boxes Delta is putting into the
>> seatbacks of their long haul jets run Linux to drive the display which
>> allows passengers to entertain themselves in flight.
>>
>> And how did I know this?  Because my wife's seat lost the sound and they
>> had
>> to reboot the darn thing!  Imagine my surprise at that too.
>
> They've been like that for years, although the last time I looked Tux
> is now awol.  Linux is used because each seat is a virtual machine
> (kvm?).    I don't think there is any non-Linux IFE on aircraft.
>
> -Jim P.

Sent from my mobile device

.!# RichardBronosky #!.