[ale] OT Linksys primiscuous mode

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Dec 22 11:39:55 EST 2009

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Greg Clifton wrote:

> At low cost of hardware these days (5 port 10/100 switch for on the order of
> $15) and a switches generally being preferred over hubs for performance
> reasons, I expect you are right that a hub will be hard to find. Can you
> tell me why a hub would be preferred over a switch in this situation?

Hubs allow you to sniff ALL traffic, even malformed packets that
don't make it through vlans, smart monitoring ports, and other
software-ish smart switch methods. Real hubs are "stupid" and rebroadcast
everything, even/especially the real crapola.

Warning: I've bought some 4/5 port things labelled as hubs that were
actually switches. I currently have a good 4 port and 8 port 10/100 hub
that are prize possessions just for such experiments, I think all good
geeks should have at least one in their bag-o-tricks.